Friday, June 30, 2017

The Last Day of School

I remember how delicious that last day of school was. Endless summer days lurking.  Three Rs all finished. Everyone in a good mood.
This year it was delicious in fact as well as metaphor.
On Wednesday of the last week, Read-to-Succeed Buffalo hosted its volunteers to a literary feast.  E.B. White hummus and crudité, Edgar Allan Poe Boys, Chicken a la Stephen King, Oscar Wilde Salmon, Fannie Flagg Fried Green Tomatoes, Joyce Carol Oates and Raisin Cookies, Maya Angelou Food Cake. And we washed it down with The Grapes of Wrath Sangria, laughing all the while.
These people know how to treat volunteers!
Then came the last day, Friday.
I approached Room 205 with a swirl of emotions.   I'd just tapped into my fondness for each one to  a farewell note,  highlighting their best qualities and their progress. And I’d made a foray to Dollar Tree to buy a silly parting gift for each, a pair of stars and stripes glasses already
 out for Fourth of July. I was eager for one more time together and already wistful that it was ending.
           When I walked through the door, Ms. Ray said “We have something for you!” as a bunch of kids swarmed me offering a folder with Thank You drawings, one from each of the 22 children in the class whether I had worked with them or not.
“I did this one.” “Look at mine.” “Let me find mine.”
It took me a moment to get my heart back into its correct place in my body. What a treasure!
I read some aloud, holding them up so the artist could be acknowledged, and promising to savor every one as soon as I got home. I had a small gift for each child in the room, too.
My kids took pleasure in having a big reveal of their drawings during our group time. M(agnificient) I(mportant) S(uper) S(mart)  K(ool) A(wesome) Y(ou will be missed)  The words varied but the sentiment was the same and the drawings were spectacular.
I delivered my notes, which they read aloud and, mustering all their good group behavior, listened when the others read.  Probably the most excited was Micki because I mentioned her approach when she stumbled on a word – to giggle and try again.  “I just did it!” And she had.
But the biggest fun was the glasses. They donned them immediately, danced around the library and delighted in posing for pictures with their arms draped around each other.
My kids – ending the year in fine style.



No comments:

Post a Comment